Monday, November 15, 2010

I had an awesome weekend!

This weekend was especially cool because my art cells felt revived!

This Saturday I went to an awesome event held by Picto Plasma.   Craig Redman, creator of Darcel, was the first speaker.  I like his presentation, and how he works his idea and lead him where he is now.   Blog is seriously a new way to shout out your thoughts.  I am enjoying it too.

Second one is Rilla Alexander.  Rilla recently completed her book, "Her Idea".  Her speech, out of all four, was the most inspiring one for me.  I could really feel a connection with everything she said.  She talked about how she struggled with her idea booms, and how she find what she really wanted to do after 10 yrs of commercial work.  This made me think a lot of myself.  I am in a stage where I feel confused too.  I have so many ideas just like she has.  But like what she said, new ideas always seem better.

"Please don't give up on me," one of her idea sadly lied in the garbage can.  I almost thought that poor thing lying in the garbage was something that I dumped out.  Work with one idea at a time.  Push it, stretch it, believe in it, do whatever I can with it, be loyal to it.  And eventually it will grow.  One more thing she said that was really interesting was that, commercial work seems to push you away from putting your soul into it.  That's why she saved her soul for her book.  But then she realized that she can't just divide herself into two, one does commercial work, the other one does her book.  I really want to find out what she will be doing two years from now.  Will she be fully devoted to her book? or will she be back into commercial world again?

Next is Nathan Jurevicius.  He's the creator for Scary Girl.  I learned one thing from him.  Lawyers are important when I become famous. haha.

The last one, Peter de Seve.  He is the character designer for Blue sky's Ice Age.  He showed a lot of his work in the speech.  I have to say, he's a really nice speaker, grabs my full attention.  He had been in this business for a long time, and the path to get where he is now, is not as smooth and easy as one would think.  And I got this from him!


Sunday I went to a drawing meetup session.  It was really nice to sit in a tea shop and draw on a Sunday afternoon.  Here are some of my work,



I wish next weekend can be this inspiring too!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it was a very inspiring weekend. Sorry I couldn't make it to the drawing session. Next time, I'll go. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, it's totally cool. You should go if you really feel the urge to draw, otherwise you will feel bored anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this post! Great minds think alike. =) You have good drawings too! Hmm..but I already told you that verbally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice drawings!
    if i come back, i would like to go to those the drawing meetup, too. =)

    ReplyDelete